Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Sharing is Caring???

I have a love/hate relationship with the Bariatric Surgery Forums on Facebook.

On one hand, they provide unlimited free information for pre-and post op patients from those who have forged the trail before me. There's encouragement, friendly banter, recipes, and of course the forever-loved before and after pictures showing every side of weight loss surgery you'd ever want to see.

These forums are meant to be a means of positive support and for the most part, they are. It's amazing how much perfect strangers are willing to share the good, the bad and the ugly -  no holds barred. This is the part I love. I'm perfectly ok with people who have been super successful and whose stories are filled with good news. But every now and again, while scrolling through the endless posts,  one jumps out about someone who regrets surgery.

Last night there was a woman who posted a video about her shit turning brick-like and how she ended up in the ER with multiple doctors trying to get the rock in her ass to come out. We're talking multiple enemas and no movement. She said it was her public service announcement so that others don't have to suffer but, damn if it didn't freak me the fuck out just a bit.

Of course I know that with any surgery, complications are a real possibility. I'm thankful to be having my sleeve done at a good hospital with an excellent bariatric program. But there is always the chance that something doesn't go quite right. And it scares me more than I have let on.

The good news is, most of the posts on the forums are from patients with glowing reviews of the surgery and documentation of their amazing progress. Many say that this was the best gift they ever gave themselves and I am hoping that I can add myself to that list of people in the near future.

The pre-op diet has given me serious pause for reflection on my eating habits. While I'm not finding it to be terribly difficult to stick to this pre-op plan (its only for two week after all), I know I still need the actual surgery as a tool to help me be successful. This is all about a mindset change - but I feel that won't happen without knowing I can achieve success. And that's the difference between this time and every other past attempt at weight loss. I'm GOING to get there. I WILL succeed. It will just be up to me to make sure I don't slip backwards once I do.

 There are many people who have shared their weight gain sagas surrounding this surgery. Without full changing your relationship with food and committing to new and different way of life, I can see how easily the tool that once was your friend can turn into your foe. It might be one of the scariest aspect of this surgery - even scarier than brick-like shits.

At the end of the day, I'm nervous and scared, but also elated that I am taking this life-changing step toward better health. I never, ever thought I would. I just can't wait to see what's on the other side of this fat suit.










No comments:

Post a Comment