Sunday, February 1, 2015

Super Bad Super Bowl



Happy Super Bowl Sunday, my friends!

On this day dedicated to football-watching and notoriously bad food choices, I thought I would post about some things I have been experiencing recently and am finding particularly challenging today.

Historically speaking, Super Bowl Sunday is a green light for gluttony - at least it has been for me in the past. Nachos, chicken taquitos, chips, dip, wings, and beer. Was there ever a better sounding menu for an evening camped out out on the couch, screaming at the TV set broadcasting a game with a bunch of men with big biceps and tight pants, with balls that may or may not be deflated? No, I didn't think so either.

Well, those food choices aren't an option for me today, even though I still plan on watching the big game. Josh and I have talked at length about what we'd like to eat today. He really doesn't buy much into the hype that it's practically mandatory to eat your face off on game day, and would be happy with a simple bowl of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. As for me, I've always enjoyed any day that gives me a free pass to eat with wild abandon. This year, however, that's not going to happen, and planning for that was, in a word, interesting.

Most people know that I am a self-proclaimed foodie. I LOVE to cook and bake and adore spending time pouring over my abundant cookbooks, and finding new and exciting recipes online, planning what yummy deliciousness I can make next. I could spend hours watching the Barefoot Contessa, Pioneer Woman, and Bobby Flay whip up their culinary magic on the Cooking Channel. They are like Kitchen Gods to me. And Pinterest? Oh, don't even get me started on Pinterest...it's a damn time-suck devil where millions of delightfully decadent recipes get pinned my "Food Stuff" wall to tempt and tease me at one click of my keyboard. I am in love with food and I can't deny it.

All this week leading up to the big game, it seems my favorite shows and online resources for food inspiration have been bringing out the big guns in terms of food offerings for this one major sports event. And while there may be the occasional mention of something, a-hem, "healthy" - most of the recipes are a dieters nightmare and then some. Case in point: There was picture of a salted caramel cheesecake that popped up today on my Facebook feed that looked so divine it almost made me cry. And the sky-high chicken nacho pile that was featured on Pioneer Woman made me wish she lived next door.

So... what is a person who is newly committed to a healthy lifestyle to do? Plan! Plan! Plan! That's what! As I mentioned, my husband and I talked about it and since I was the one who cared more about what we were going to consume today, I got to plan the menu! It pays to be particular, I guess. :-)

First up - an alternative to wings was a must. Thankfully, there has been a buffalo cauliflower recipe that has been floating around Pinterest and FB for some time now that I know first hand is truly yummy and will satisfy my craving for that hot-sauce wingy-taste. Except cauliflower won't blow my diet the way fried wings would - so there's that. I'm also opting to make ground turkey & bean stuffed peppers and a chicken tortilla soup (minus the tortillas, cheese, and sour cream that the recipe calls for) that is very low-calorie (with my modifications) but extremely high in the flavor department. Win-win!!!

It's not an overly exciting menu but it is one that works for me and will keep me on track. It's chock-full of veggies, insanely flavorful, and very low-carb, minus the beans. But they're BEANS after all - so really? It's better than bread, so I'm okay with a few healthy carbs making their way onto my plate. I've even been toying with the idea of having a glass of red wine, but we'll see how the rest of my eating goes for today and whether or not I feel that indulgence is necessary come kick-off time. At the end of the day, I know I won't die without it, no matter how much I might whine that I will.

I'm beginning to see that it really is all about planning. Not just for today, but for the rest of this journey, which essentially will be for the rest of my life. I'm giving serious thought to what I eat and how much I eat and I'm proud of that. It's when no plan is in place that I get into trouble, so I am going to try my very best not to let that happen. I read another weight loss blog last night that talked about making gradual modifications so that weight loss and dieting doesn't seem so daunting. I have to say I agree with that logic. If someone ever tells me I can't ever have a drink again, guaranteed we're going to go a couple rounds. But if I tell myself I have the power to make choices in my day that allow that drink, then I am in control. It's all about being mindful. It makes so much sense it's stupid I waited this long to get on board.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the game and that the Patriots and their balls go home completely deflated. Ha! Enjoy whatever you are doing today, and fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow to recuperate (I won't need to but would still take the snow day).

Until next time...






















No comments:

Post a Comment